Today on my way back to my hotel after having attended a Family Planning Association of Nepal (FPAN) 4-hour long program - all in Nepali only a little bit of which I could actually tell you what it was about – I walked pass the usual cohort of kids always playing along Nepal’s “streets.” (As I have said before, our idea of streets is much different…) As usual there was a chorus of “NAMASTE” and “HE-LLO”s yelled at me to which I distractedly mumbled “namaste” back. I kept walking and passed a boy (no more than 10 years old) riding on his beaten up red bicycle who looked at me and yelled (Nepali kids from my experience like to yell questions and greetings…) “Where you come from?” He undoubtedly meant which country, but the question gave me pause. Over the past week I have interacted with people who introduce me to others as from Kathmandu and when out of Pokhara, then I am from Pokhara. Of course there are others who specifically ask which country, but all in all this location question can be asked in so many ways that it just ends up being confusing. So when I opened my mouth to respond over my shoulder to this particular boy, nothing came out.
While in Nepal I have lived with two different families (one in Kathmandu and one in Tukuche) and now am staying at a hotel run by a family whom I drinking tea, speak in Nepali, and watching Hindi soap operas with – and they are related to my advisor’s family! I have learned the importance of roots, origins, and traditions which often makes me reflect on my own life. I think about all of the incredible people who love me and who I love in return and who are a part of my thoughts subconsciously and deliberately every day. I often tear up just thinking about the power of these connections and relationship. Even as I write, I am getting emotional. Some may say that it is “home sickness” (or the proper phrase “missing home”), but I would call it reflection. Reflection on my own roots, origins, and traditions which I have gained from family and friends over the years. My experience in Nepal has taught me that no matter how far you go (some Nepali families are scattered throughout the world as a result of jobs and education) you always carry with you your own history.
So, sure I may be from Kathmandu, Pokhara, America, New Jersey, Ohio, Washington (depending on how you form the question). But what gave me pause when the boy on his bike – traveling from location to location himself – asked a seemingly simple question, was the fact that geography for me has become irrelevant and my identity has been shaped by not place, but people.
so... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I did pujaa for all of you this morning. I hope that everyone is spending lots of time with friends and family. You are all in my thoughts.
Om mani padme aum.
Meghan/ Muna
"mountains do not meet, but friends do" - unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment